Last week I did a post looking for opinions about whether or not I should capitalize on a great gym membership discount in order to get back in shape and have a little ”me” time. The comments were pretty divided between encouraging me to do it and to not and save my money. I’ve been giving it honest thought since it entered my head weeks before I even wrote about it, and I’ve made a decision.
I’m going to be a runner instead.
This isn’t some crazy new revelation. I actually used to be a quasi runner and have done a few clinics (via Running Room) but each time I make it to that 5K mark, I quit. I don’t consciously do it but I just stop running. I lose my motivation and drive. After 5k it gets really hard and I give up. Not this time.
I have a great treadmill for super cold and super hot days, many great routes around my house and a sister-in-law who’s going to help keep me accountable. I have zero excuses.
I envy people who can just run. I’ve always admired people who can throw on their shoes on and move their bodies for hours. I want to be one of those people. I want to unplug from the reality of the world and just go.
Given what I know about running from past experience I understand that it’s not exactly a ”free” sport, in reality can be very expensive, but it’s going to be less than a gym membership and it gets me outside.
Things I need and associated costs
- Running Shoes. I have a pair that are ok but given what I know, if I’m going to commit, I need a decent pair. ($125.00)
- Sports Bra. Ladies have to be supported ($30.00)
- Cell Phone/iPod Holder. I use my phone to track/gps/pace/c25k app and I’m currently running with it in a wristlette purse to I don’t throw it mid stride. ($10.00-ebay)
Total initial cost : $175.00 (Gym membership: $400/year after taxes)
Things I want (notice I deciphered between the two )
- GPS watch. I had one years ago but it got destroyed by water. I loved it and already miss it. It really is easier than any app and can be a great motivator. Not a necessity but would gladly accept as a gift ($130.00)
- Running socks, wick moisture=less blisters ($10/pair)
- Moisture-wicking shirt(s). Really does regulate temp better but not a necessity. ($20-50/each)
I have a pretty good pair of new running shoes that will do for now, their not ideal but I’m going to wait a few months before I ”invest” in better shoes. I do need a running sports bra but that’s all I’m going to buy for now.
My sister-in-law and I are going to sign up for a 5k Christmas race the first week of December. We have until Nov 03 to sign up. I’m officially 5 runs in and I’m happy to report it’s getting easier. Last night I was genuinely surprised to hear cool down had started, always a good sign. He’s hoping to a good few months, getting back into shape while not spending the money on a gym membership. I hope it ends up being the right decision!